Monday, January 18, 2016

#34 In the Perú Cusco Mission...

WE had a great Zone meeting today and I just wanted to share a couple things that really called my attention.

 So I guess, I don't actually know, my District leader forgot to tell us, that we were supposed to think of something to complete the sentence "In the Perú Cusco mission...." with something like "We do... tal cosa" Fill in the blank. And lots of people said some really cool things. Like "We teach by the spirit" or "we are obedient" or one of my favorites "We don't justify breaking the rules" (That was Hermana Campoverde. She's a feisty one.) And that was all cool and stuff. But then our Zone Leader, one of the many Elder Flores that we have, said something that just really kind of blew my mind. It was something I had never thought of before. He said "In the Perú Cusco mission, we are the missionaries that our investigators deserve." Or in Spanish, because I think it sounds better "En la mision Perú Cusco, somos los misioneros quien nuestros investigadores merecen." And I just loved that. Because I think we forget that, as missionaries, it's not all about us. That we aren't the only ones putting in the work. There are countless people out there praying for missionaries to come to them and bring them to the truth. Countless people looking for something more. Countless people that are prepared and willing to listen and change. And if we aren't missionaries of God, invested in the work of the Lord, then we aren't the missionaries that these people deserve. They deserve someone committed. Someone that will help them become the people that they want to be. And I just loved that. And that is what I wanted to share with you today. Be the missionary, the friend, the neighbor, the coworker, the acquaintance that the children of God deserve.

Next point. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who sent me a card this Christmas season! The mail here is kind of slow, but your kind words finally found me and gave me a post Christmas cheer! I seriously came from the best ward ever, long live OV2! I just want these people to know that I seriously appreciated the thoughts of all the families that sent me a card. It was the best. Specifically 'd like to thank them all. Sister Lewis, Sister Novelli, The Leavitt family, Sister Bishop, Brother Bunnell (He sent me a painting of a flower! It is beautiful!) The Lyon Family, Sister Jacobsmeyer and all the young women for their great package! I didn't recognize some of the names, so I guess there must be new girls but thank you Jozelynn G, Bailee Andrews, Sister Freeman, Elise (Elise is in young womens?!) Sister Jones, Emma Humes, Kaila, Kyra, Beebz (keep editing off peoples eyebrows. Live your dream.) , Bill (ohmygosh! We're breathen the same air!), and some sweet girl with the initials of RCM. She sent a very sweet letter addressed to Elder Larsen, but it was very sweet and I am going to just erase his name, put mine, and keep it. 
And I want to thank Ingvild Reinfiord! It was so fun getting a letter from her, though I have no idea who she is, but I like her and tell her to stay in the states until I get back! I hope to meet you too Ingvild! 
But yeah it was seriously the best! Thank you all for thinking about me and allowing me to be apart of your Christmas! Best Ward EVER!

And thank you Grandma and Grandpa Rust! They always pick the prettiest cards. Thank you all!!!

Ok next point
This week Fredy got baptized!!!!! My comp had all the pictures, but forgot her camera, so I will send fotos next week. But heres the details in the order that the happened.

1. We got there early to clean the font and start heating the water. That's a two hour process just to heat the water. And when we started it, the oxidation of the pipes caused the water to turn a mountain dew-y color and it was really gross looking and so we had to drain it and start all over again. But then the... heating device... broke! And so we were freaking out because Fredy's only worry was getting baptized in freezing cold water. 

2. Buuuuut it ended up being ok because we had a whole team of priesthood leaders in the outside shed trying to figure it out and eventually it heated up. Mas o menos. 

3. And the only reason why it was warm for the baptism is because  FREDY SHOWED UP AN HOUR LATE! Holy cow I was freaking out. Because the baptism started at 7. And he walked in the door at 7:55. I thought he was never going to show. But he finally did. And when he walked in, he walked in with a new haircut and with a tie on. first time I'd seen him like that. 

4. So we started at 8:00 and we had literally 60 people there at that baptism! And 11 of them were investigators! That is literally unheard of! But it was awesome because the whole chapel was full and I could tell that made Fredy really happy. 

5. I gave a talk about taking upon us the name of Christ. it was good. nothing noteworthy. 

6. So fredy is like 6ft 2 or 3. He's a tall kid. And he asked the bishop, who is 5ft nothing, to baptize him. It was hilarious. Because Fredy forgot to bend his knees. So it was literally just like a tree coming down when the bishop lowered him into the water. and because Fredy is longer than the whole baptismal font, he smacked his head on the wall! I felt so bad! But I also chuckled a little bit...it was kinda funny ok! 

7. I gave him a CTR or HLJ ring. He thought it was the coolest thing ever. Fredy rocks! 

8. The next day he got confirmed.

9. We stopped by his house yesterday to ask him how he felt and all, because we didn't get to talk to him that much on Saturday, and he just told us that he felt new. He felt free. That it was the feeling that he had always imagined. And I asked him what his favorite part was and he told me that he loved getting confirmed because that is when he felt like he was part of the family. Finally he was part of the family. He's seriously the coolest kid ever. And I can just tell that he is happy. So happy. And that makes me happy. So happy. 

So that was our Fredy baptism. It was a great day and I'm so happy that I haven't gotten transferred yet so that I could see it and be a part of it. Guys. Missions are the best. 

Next tema!
Gaby is getting married and baptized this weekend! I have been waiting a long time for this one too, so I'm really excited to see how it all unfolds.

Next tema!
We have been the only mission in like all of south america without cell phones. For forever. But today, WE GOT CELL PHONES! Since I'm training, it's all mine too! Don't even have to share! Ha I'm kinda a brat. Truth is, I have no idea how to use this thing. It's really hard. So my comp has to help me out a lot. But it's still mine! Muuuuahahha!

Get this. We are having a mission conference in February. The whole mission is going to Cusco (first time that has ever happened) and guess who will be waiting for us there? ELDER HOLLAND! That's right. You read right. I'm gonna be all up close and personal with Elder Holland. I can't wait! 

Well that's all I've got this week! I love you all and be the missionary that your friends deserve!
Until next week! 
Hermana Rust

And that's Fredy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment